The following are some frequently asked questions about the Meals on Wheels program. Additional information about our services, volunteering and how to make a donation, can be accessed from the main menu. If you don’t see what you’re looking for on our website, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- What is in a Meals on Wheels meal?
- When are the meals delivered?
- Who delivers the meals?
- How are the meals prepared?
- How much does the service cost?
- Who is eligible to receive a Meals on Wheels meal?
- How can I receive Meals on Wheels meals?
- How many meals does Terre Haute Area Meals on Wheels deliver each day?
Q. What is in a Meals on Wheels meal?
The hot, nutritious, low-fat meals each contain 1/3 of the minimum daily nutritional requirements for senior adults.
Each meal includes the following:
- One serving of lean protein (beef, chicken, pork)
- Two servings of complex carbohydrates (usually 1 bread and 1 starch)
- Two servings of either a fruit or a vegetable
- Eight ounces of milk
Nutritionally, each meal contains:
- At least 700 calories
- Less than 1,400 mg of sodium
- Less than 30% of its calories from fat
Because our meal provider shops weekly and even daily to have the freshest items available, we do not have a menu available for each month. We do have some sample meals listed below to give you an idea of what some meals may contain.
Sample hot meals:
- Ranch Baked Chicken, seasoned roasted potatoes, green beans
- Spaghetti with Meatballs/ or ground hamburger in marina sauce, broccoli, garlic bread (if diet allows), warm brown sugar cinnamon peaches(splenda option available also)
- Oven "fake fried"pork chops, baked beans, mixed vegetables
- Chicken or Beef and Noodles, Mashed potatoes or carrots Depending on diet, Sliced apples baked with Apple pie spice and lightly sugared or splenda.
- Breaded and baked fish sandwich on bun(if diet allows) or Baked Polluck depending on diet, Baked French fries-or rice pilaf, California blend vegetables
- Pork lion served in multiple ways: With gravy, pulled bbq, low sodium teriyaki glaze,etc
Sample cold meals:
- Milk or juice, ham and cheese on bread variety, picnic style potato salad, Fruit salad, deserts of all variety and diabetic dessert offered as well.
- Milk or juice,Turkey and lettuce wrap with variety of flavor spreads, Cottage cheese, banana, snack variety usually in the form of a cracker or chip, Dessert or diabetic friendly dessert
- Milk or juice, chicken salad on bread variety, Soup variety example chicken noodle, tomato, chicken and rice, vegetable, minestrone, fresh veggie salad with variety of dressings marinated in, Mandarin oranges.
- Milk or juice, salami with cheese or ham salad on bread variety, pasta salad varieties, applesauce, snack ex of popcorn,pretzels,chex mix, small version of dessert like pudding or jello and diabetic version
- Milk or juice, grilled cheese or roasted chicken lunchmeat on bread variety, tomato soup with crackers if allowed, ambrosia salad(diabetic version offered), small version of dessert(snack cakes for example) and small diabetic dessert
Q. When are the meals delivered?
Meals are delivered Monday - Friday between 10:30 am and 12:00 pm.
Q. Who delivers the meals?
The meals are delivered by volunteers who are the heart and soul of the program, and whose warm, human touch means so much to our clients. Without their selfless dedication, we could not serve the meals we provide each weekday in Vigo County. We are constantly looking for additional volunteers to deliver meals. If you think you’d like to volunteer, even for just one day per month, please call (812) 232-3878, or follow this link to view more information about volunteering.
Q. How are the meals prepared?
Terre Haute Area Meals on Wheels maintains a contract with an independant caterer, Aleah Neal from Aleah's Meals, who prepares each day’s meals. The volunteer drivers pick up the packaged meals and deliver them to clients’ homes. Note: Each day’s meal are prepared, packaged, and delivered under strict food safety guidelines to minimize the risk of contamination. The meals are cooked fresh daily then delivered to our recipients.
Q. How much does the service cost?
Meals cost $5.50 for one hot and one cold on the same day.
If you only want a hot meal it is $4.00 per day.
If you only want a cold meal it is $2.50 per day.
Q. Who is eligible to receive a Meals on Wheels meal?
The services of Terre Haute Area Meals on Wheels may be available to any resident of Vigo County who is homebound as the result of age, disability, or illness. Most recipients live alone and are handicapped, malnourished, elderly, or otherwise unable to prepare food for themselves. People of all incomes and ages may be eligible for meals. Meals on Wheels does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender, disability, or national origin.
Q. How can I receive Meals on Wheels meals?
If you think you may be eligible to receive Meals on Wheels, or know someone who may benefit from this service, please submit an Application for Services to Terre Haute Area Meals on Wheels. One of our staff will contact you.