Kitchen Assistant Overview:
- Our kitchen is open Monday through Friday, generally from 8am to 3pm, with various types of volunteer work available.
- We have a Kitchen Manager that plans the meals and cooks them, as well as instructs the rest of the kitchen team on their activities.
- Training and equipment to volunteer with us is provided, including aprons, hair coverings, gloves, masks, or anything else you will need.
- Morning kitchen assistants helping with daily meal prep (9am to 11am) often prepare items for cold meals and assist with sealing hot meals for the day, as well as kitchen clean up.
- Kitchen assistants in the afternoons may work with food items as they are received into our inventory, help process fresh items, and assist with meal preparations for the following day.
- We can always use kitchen assistants that wish to come monthly instead of weekly to help with deep cleaning our kitchen.
Volunteers must be aware of the confidential nature of client information, which must be observed for the protection of the client, the volunteer, and the Meals on Wheels program. Do not reveal clients' names or personal matters to anyone other than Meals on Wheels staff members.
Inclement Weather Procedures
- We deliver meals Monday through Friday in all weather, so our kitchen operates then as well.
- The only time meals are not delivered are when road conditions are declared a "STATE of EMERGENCY".
- If you are uncertain about whether the Meals on Wheels office will be open, please phone the office at 812-232-3878 to confirm cancellation prior to venturing out into unsafe driving conditions.